Saturday, November 19, 2011

Get festive and fascinated!








It is that time again when we all get into the holiday spirit. Yes! Parties, shopping, and the spirit that makes the holidays come alive. I am a big fan of the festive season, so much so that I feel like a kid all over again. My kids still do not get as excited as I do.

Dressing up is one of my greatest passions. I have been playing "dress up" since I have known myself. From my dolls to myself, it was the "funnest" time of my life- it still is. So now that I have no excuse to take out my "pretty dan dan" (A phrase we used in Jamaica back when I was a kid which means all my pretty little outfits) I am ready!.

What is topping the fashion list this holiday season? Of course cute little black dresses are never out of style. Cocktail and full length are always hits of the season. How about shoes? Platforms , pumps, high boots and of course strappy shoes, (though a bit impractical for the cold) are always the accessories for finishing those cute little outfits.

From feathers to furs, tulles and bows, fascinators are HUGE this season! While they were a big hit in the 60's, they have a made a comeback into the fashionista's world. I LOVE THEM! They are not for the conservative, although there are styles that a woman who does not necessarily want to be seen can wear. Yes 'mam! How then do you wear a fascinator without looking too much? That is the question. Okay I decided to make a little list of how to wear a fascinator and HOW.

A fascinator can be worn just about anywhere. It all depends on you and of course the occasion determines how fascinating your fascinator should be. Below is a list of tips on how to wear your fascinators:

With a simple dress: (Knee length, A-Line, or a nice shift)

• Wear a fancy fascinator that is more like a hat (pillbox is a good choice)
• Feathers can adorn your fascinator and to top it off, you can add some tulle
• A bird cage veil can be a nice look with any dress (simple or fancy)
• A big flower- for the creative funky woman. Make it as big as your head can handle Remember, we need to be able to see your face.

With a Fancy dress: (Full length, sequinned, ballgown, or a maxi , with lots of blings.
Keep it simple; A bow that may or may not pick up the colour in your dress (not necessarily matching, coordinating is the key to adding accessories)

• A little flower
• A Fancy hair pin with minimal blings
• A Birdcage type of furniture works as long as it does not compete with the dress (simplicity is the key)
• A fancy hat that goes with the theme of your dress

So now that you are preparing for all those soirees, shindigs, and parties for the holiday, try something new. Go Try a fascinator and you will be fascinated!


No comments:

Post a Comment